Policy Position – Foreign Aid Cuts

The Senator has made it clear when campaigning for election in 2013 that he wants Australia to provide 1% of Gross National Income (GNI) in foreign aid.  This exceeds the internationally-agreed target of 0.7% GNI, and far exceeds Australia’s current foreign aid levels.  Senator Day’s view is, the nation should allocate this 1% first, then the remaining 99% to its domestic needs.

Senator Day explains his campaign for 1% here, and in this brief video at a 2013 election forum on Youtube.

 

It is the unfettered prerogative of Government to set foreign aid levels – in other words, there is no scope for the Senate to stop the Government changing its foreign aid funding levels.

The Senator is focussed on helping the Government get its budget in order, so that it is in a better financial position to lift foreign aid funding in future.  Continuing down the debt and deficit course set by Labor will only postpone foreign aid funding improvements into the distant future, if not indefinitely.

IMAGE: Department of Foreign Affairs & Trade (DFAT) Flickr account

FacebookTwitterGoogle+Share